Sunday 22 March 2015

鼎泰豐 Din Tai Fung @ Pavilion, Kuala Lumpur

鼎泰豐 Din Tai Fung @ Pavilion, Kuala Lumpur




鼎泰豐 Din Tai Fung is originally from Taipei, Taiwan. It has more than 100 outlets in 11 countries. It has 5 branches in Malaysia and this one located @ Pavilion, Kuala Lumpur. We visited on a weekend and it was full of crowd. We waited for around half an hour to be seated. Before visiting, I tried to search for review online, and it's rated as one of the top Chinese restaurant in Klang Valley. I can say that, it's really disappointing. 




It's not like ordinal Chinese restaurant, with a lot of dishes. It only serves Xiao Long Bao, dumplings, bun, soup, noodles, fried rice, some very limited choice fry dishes, appetizers and desserts only. The main dishes here is the Xiao Long Bao and their handmade noodles (拉麵).  

Ginger Vinegar
Every customer is served with a small plate of ginger on the table, It has to be added with vinegar to eat together with the XiaoLongBao, dumplings etc. Well, but I think that the ginger is cut too thick.
小籠包 Xiao Long Bao 6pcs (RM11.20)
The main dish of the restaurant? Ridiculous, it's much poorer than my expectation. The soup inside should be the essence of a Xiao Long Bao, but it comes out to be too dry, not as juicy as a good Xiao Long Bao should be. :tdown :tdown :tdown

Besides this Xiao Long Bao, they also have Chicken Xiao Long Bao, 蟹粉小籠包 Crab Xiao Long Bao, 松露小籠包 Truffle Xiao Long Bao.

蝦肉蒸餃 Shrimp & Pork Dumplings 6pcs (RM12.20)
The taste is almost the same as the Xiao Long Bao, just the skin thickness is a bit different. The taste is just moderate.

蝦仁燒賣 Shrimp & Pork Shao Mai
The taste is exactly the same as the Shrimp Dumplings, but just in a different way of presenting. The appearance is nice, but taste is just normal.
紅油炒手  Spicy Shrimp Wanton 6pcs (RM12.00)
Well, at least this is something that is still worthy to try. Actually it's just Shrimp Wanton in the Spicy Red Oil. The ingredients inside the Wanton again is still the same as the rest, just that the skin is thinner.
幹拌麵 Dry Noodle (RM8.50)
It's their handmade LaMian and actually just plain noodle, with some simple seasoning. Again, another disappointing dish. The noodle is overcooked, causing the noodles lost the springy texture. The taste is also poor. I can say that even roadside stall wantan noodle is better than this. RM8.50 for such quality plain noodle. :tdown :tdown :tdown

鮮肉包 Pork Bun 1pc (RM3.30)
They actually use the same ingredients for everything. The ingredient inside the bun actually is also the same like the rest. This one, still ok lah.


We can see the chef making dumplings through the glass outside of the restaurant. And I spotted something, they are cleaning the glass at the same time while the staff is making the dough beside. How unhygienic is it?! Yucks, not sure whether did I accidentally eat some detergent. 

P.S I tried the Beef Soup ordered by my friend, taste not bad, but didn't take photo.

P.S I am not sure why is this restaurant given so high rating from others. Perhaps due to too high demand that time and standard drop? Or other branches are better?

Recommended dish(es): -

All items are subject to 10% of Service Charge and 6% of Gov Tax.

Disclaimer: All the comments above are solely based on my taste buds and based on the food that I have tasted but not the overall food. I don't get any profit from any party. If I provide the wrong information or if you have any recommended dishes, please let me know. Thanks.

Taste: 4/10
Ambiance: 8/10
Service: 7/10
Hygiene: 5/10
Value For Money: 5/10
Overall: 5.5/10

Non-Halal

鼎泰豐 Din Tai Fung Restaurant

Lot 6.01.05, Level 6,
Pavilion Kuala Lumpur,
168, Jalan Bukit Bintang,
51000 Kuala Lumpur.

Business Hours: Mon - Sun: 11:00–23:00
Phone Number: 03-2148 8292

Other Branches:
The Garden Mall, Mid Valley City
Empire Shopping Gallery
eCurve
One Utama

Website:http://www.dintaifung.com.my
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DinTaiFungMalaysia

2 comments :

  1. Wa...I like your review, I'm not sure people have no idea about good food or they go by brand/crowd .... I tried once and I band Din Tai Fung already. Dynasty palace still can give a try. Basically siao long bao in Malaysia really over priced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bernice,

      Thanks for visiting my blog. Yes, nowadays many people go for brand only. I also rarely see negative review for Din Tai Fung, but my blogging style is doing both positive and negative review. I tried Paradise Dynasty's, indeed it's better.

      Delete