Thursday 9 July 2015

The Lobsterman Homarus Americanus @ SS2, Petaling Jaya

The Lobsterman Homarus Americanus @ SS2, Petaling Jaya


Sorry for the late blog. This is actually the blog for Mother's day celebration. Errr isn't that long lah, just around 2 months ago lol. 

We were headache on where to bring mum to celebrate for Mother's day. We were considering seafood then my sister suggested this one. So I called to reserve table to avoid full house due to Mother's day. The person who picked up the phone is rather unfriendly.


The restaurant is not easy to be spotted because of the building is quite inconspicuous and the building is also quite old.


The restaurant was almost fully occupied that time, but not sure will it be so full during normal days.


The design of the restaurant is somehow close to vintage theme with simple and old furniture and decoration. 

Knowledge about lobsters
 I will summarize some important points + some that I know.

  • Lobsters have slightly higher cholesterol than shrimp but less cholesterol, calories and saturated fat compared to chicken and turkey. So eating in moderation is fine,
  • Lobsters are good source of protein.
  • Age of a lobsters is approximately the weight in pound multiplies 4 then plus 3.
    (Let y= age, x=weight, and if x=0, y =3??? sorry I'm a Maths student lol) I think it is only applicable for matured lobsters.
  • It also shows the correct way to eat lobsters.

There are 4 sizes of lobsters:
  • 900g RM168
  • 800g RM158
  • 700g RM148
  • 550g RM128
We wanted to order the biggest one but they only left with the smallest one. Sob.

Various Cooking Styles
The cooking styles is quite wide with different country style ranging from stir-fry, sashimi, barbecue, baked, soup, steam, braised with YeeMee, drunken style, Malaysian style, cooked in porridge, salad or even curry.


If you don't like lobsters, you can always rice or pasta or grilled food. For me, eating only lobsters is definitely not filling, so I must order some carbs food.

Set for 4 Pax
Set For 2 Pax
Set For 2 Pax RM148
-Half Lobster
-2 Sea Crabs
We ordered a set for 2 but I just wanted to say it's a big disappointment. 
Half Thermidor Lobster
The lobster is indeed not bad with generous amount of cheese and the flesh of the lobsters is also baked to right degree, maintaining the juiciness and tenderness of the flesh.
避風塘花蟹 Shelter's Garlic Sea Crab
The sea crabs are so small and overcooked. The flesh is dry and almost flesh-less. Tsk tsk tsk disappointed. 
Baked Seafood Rice
Actually I feel like I got cheated, the portion of the 2 person baked rice is even lesser than normal ala carte 1 person portion. ( I did order ala carte baked rice). The seafood is also so less, the sauce is tasteless and so diluted.
Soup of the day 羅宋湯
 The soup is also very poor, that we didn't even finish it.

In a nutshell, out of the whole set, I think only the HALF lobster is considered edible.

美式炭燒龍蝦 Char-Broiled 550g Lobster RM128
Actually I have nothing much to shout about this dish. Just very ordinary barbecued seafood. I feel that it's rather tasteless. I understand that we should taste the natural taste of seafood, but simple seasoning is important to enhance the taste.

Baked Seafood Linguine RM24
As mentioned above, the sauce is tasteless and as can be seen in the photo, how little is the amount of cheese. The seafood is quite fresh and generous though. That's why I said I felt got cheated by the baked rice of so called 2 person portion.

Chicken Spaghetti Bolognese RM18
Seriously you serve it this way?? It looks so unappetizing. (it's really served like this) It tastes poor neither. Well, I would say I can cook better than this.

Salmon Steak RM39
At least something better that worth to try. The salmon is fresh and grilled to just right. It's served with some vegetables and potato wedges. Note that the mashed potato is extra add on. The sauce served is wasabi mayo, but the taste of wasabi is just very mild. So those who don't like wasabi still can try it. Honestly I like the wasabi mayo very much.


Mashed Potato RM5
Overall, only certain food are nice, but many are very poor. The service is also terribly poor. The person who picks up call, and the person who take order is so impatient and unfriendly. I think she is either the boss of the restaurant or manager. Seriously service is very important in F&B field. Besides that, the staff are all foreigners who can't even understand simple English.

P.S I left some comment for them with the crayon provided on the table. I hope they can improve on this, but I think maybe the staff will just throw it away. Anyway I will definitely NOT revisit here.

Recommended dish(es): Salmon Steak

All items are subject to 10% service charge and 6% GST.

Taste: 3.5/10
Ambiance: 6.5/10
Service: 3/10
Hygiene: 6.5/10
Value For Money: 4/10
Overall: 4.5/10

Disclaimer: All the comments above are solely based on my taste buds, and I don't get any profit from any party. If I provide the wrong information or if you have any recommended dishes, please let me know. Thanks.

Pork-Free

The Lobsterman Homarus Americanus

53, Jalan SS2/30,
47300 Petaling Jaya,

Business Hours: Tues - Sun 11.30am - 2.30pm, 5.30pm - 10.30pm
Phone Number: 03-7877 6772

2 comments :

  1. Wow the lobster looks yummy!
    wonder0425.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wonder Queen,

      The Thermidor Lobster is indeed not bad, but ONLY the lobster lol.

      Delete